I saw some pretty amazing progress on Medium last month:
- I hoped to earn $8 — I earned $12.74
- I hoped to gain 13 followers — I gained 26
- I hoped to earn 2000 views — I’m sitting at 2882
- I hoped to earn 1100 views — I’m sitting at 1651
I published 11 stories:
- 3 in Making of a Millionaire
- 2 in Side Hustle Club
- 4 in my personal growth publication Roses from Bones
- 1 in my world topics publication Pursuing Happiness
- 1 directly to my own profile
Outside of Medium, I leveled up in life, too:
- I’m down 5 lbs (2.3 kilos) to roughly 180 lbs (81.6 kilos).
- I drank less last month than I have in any month of the last six years, and today I’m starting my Sober September Challenge.
- I started live streaming music on Twitch again and I’m falling in love with the platform all over again — I’ve met some of the kindest, warmest people through Twitch.
- I’ve raised my freelance writing rates and (amicably) parted ways with a client that couldn’t afford $0.03/word.
- After months of digestion problems, I cut out meat and dairy and I’ve been feeling much better for the last few weeks.
- I finished some things around the house: I built a spacer to frame in my bathroom vanity and built a backyard bench for some home workouts.
In September, I’m focusing on strategy — even if it costs me views. I like participating in some great publications, like MOAM and SHC. However, the uncertainty of the submission process makes it harder to execute a content strategy.
While it’s a nice ego boost to get my work in front of tons of people, I’ve learned the hard way that it’s far more important to feed the audience I have than to go all-in on expanding it. I’ve lost audience before by letting them down when they were expecting new music, anticipating a live stream, or expecting me to show up at an open mic.
My audience takes care of me — it’s important for me to take care of them, too. As a result, this month, I’m going to focus on publishing regularly in my own publications.
- I’ll be posting discussions on marketing and the creator economy in Fritz Digital Marketing
- I’ll continue posting personal stories, song lyrics, and personal growth pieces in Roses from Bones
- I’ll discuss commentary on politics, economics, the global work world, sustainability, climate, and more in Pursuing Happiness
In between, I may push some pieces out to some publications, but I might wait until I master my process before jumping back into publications. That means that I may see less growth this month than I did last month, but that’s okay — I’m trying something new!
Without further ado, here’s my small list of goals for September!
By the way, this post is part of an ongoing series. You can track my progress here.
I made $12.74 in August, mostly from my article in Making of a Millionaire.
In September, I want to make at least $10.
I ended August with around 80 followers. Most of my traction comes from thoughtful responses to my favorite writers.
In September, I want to reach 95 followers.
Right now, I’m seeing 1600 reads across the last 30 days. This month, I want to make my content more engaging for readers.
By the end of September, I want to hit 2000 reads.
I want to add a section here for off-platform goals. I’m building my following on Twitch, YouTube, and Discord and working hard to add value to my website for Roses from Bones. I want Roses from Bones to be a community where people can grow better together, accomplish their goals, and practice loving themselves — while sharing some good memes and awesome songs, of course!
- I have 139 followers— in September, I want to reach 160.
- I have 9 subscribers— in September, I want to reach 20.
- In August, I had 31 views — in September, I want to reach 40.
- I had 8 viewers in August — in September, I want to earn 12.
- I got two new subscribers in August — in September, I want to earn 5.
- I currently have 32 people on my Discord server —in September, I want to reach 45
- I’ve had 22 sessions in the last 30 days — in September, I want to reach 30.
- My average session length is 3 min — in September, I want to reach at least 4 min.
I want to focus more on my health this month.
- I’m partaking in Sober September to see how my body responds to a month without alcohol
- I want to stick to my daily vitamin regimen — I forget to take them a lot
- I want to get back on Huel — at least in the mornings
- I want to stick to a short full-body workout three days per week to offset my sedentary work-from-home lifestyle.
- I want to finally finish Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
- I’ve started tracking my earnings — this month I want to start tracking my time in order to build a better work-life balance.
I’m proud of what I accomplished in September, even if a lot of it pales in comparison to my creator heroes. Like I said last month, I’m sort of new to the “think positive” club, but I can’t deny a correlation between saying nice things to myself every day and experiencing more joy in my life.
What are your goals this month?
Keep Reading — More By Chris Fritz
Side Hustles Have Become A Meme (But You Still Need One)
How to choose the right side hustle
The Dark Side Of Entertaining For A Living
The journey of a creator is often lonely